Wednesday, January 22, 2014

New song ideas

I've had a few ideas for songs, as in, I might just completely implode the whole tracklist for Casanova Nights, and just start from semi-scratch.

The songs I do have done, I might just throw on that EP i was talking about. 24 Hours EP. Casanova Nights is becoming a hassle to complete, because I have absolutely no idea what I want from it. There hasn't even been a chance to test out the songs on an audience, yet. My new job prevents me from utilizing open mic nights which, I'm beginning to realize, are extraordinarily helpful when making new songs. They are entirely different than singing the songs to myself. You get to hear them aloud and with people out there, you get to feel and hear how the words sound with the music in a whole different, more social, atmosphere. They also are a great place to just fuck up, and roll with it, cause it is way harder just to stop cold in a live setting, you gotta roll with the punches. When you are alone, it is easy just to stop and start over, on stage it is different, even if it is a shitty little open mic.

That little process actually formed one of my favorite songs to play (Perfect Target). It used to be just kind of a slog to play, heavy chords, no real space to move, but one night I just happened to mess up the strum pattern and went with it. The new pattern just felt so right and natural to the song I kept it, and now that is how the song is on the album.

I miss open mics, is what I'm trying to say.

I miss playing for people.

I'm tired of being alone in my basement at night.

This is definitely feeding my urge to find a show to play, but I don't have time to play it ever. With the job and the baby, it is difficult to find time, even on weekends. And if I try doing a sunday show, I know Becca will put up a stink about it. It is weird, trying to balance my seemingly two lives. You'd think I would be used to it by now, considering my past, but this is way more intertwined than trying to party while still on probation. That was open and shut, black and white. Here is what I want to do, this is what I'm supposed to be doing, and this is how not to get them mixed up. What I'm experiencing now, is a complete messy grey blob of a situation.

Anyways, back to song ideas. Basically, your past is a product that can be sold to you because you were conditioned from the beginning to buy it. Yup. Real heady stuff. That is the only real solid new idea I have, there are plenty of old ideas I'm kicking around trying to perfect for this EP/LP. Hopefully real work will get done over the next few weeks.

Until next time,

pda

No comments:

Post a Comment