Saturday, January 4, 2014

More News

Putting the song titles up was a bit premature, as I am still in the song writing phase of the album. Every song I thought was done, turned out not to be done even remotely and now I am figuring out new songs every day.

This whole do whatever approach is opening up new avenues for my songwriting. I can now just do stream of consciousness word associations, and it feels right. My ADD addled brain won't let me do it any other way, I believe. It is a bit more freeform, but I'm hoping to still have complete ideas within the song, like one song is sort of about this, or another is sort of about that. There will be central themes to each song, and the album as a whole, just the words are color instead of filler. It is dots on a map, but not the lines connecting them. Which, come tot hink of it, is how most songs are written. It would be weird to hear a song that is just hard facts. Statements about what is happening.

The album art is pretty much set in stone, though, and that has been uploaded to my reverb page. The back cover will no doubt need altering as my songs change and morph into something else entirely.

I've been messing around with the idea of putting out an EP of sorts, like The Walrus EP before it. Just rough cuts of a few songs I've been working on. I'm not sure if it should be stand alone songs, or stuff from the upcoming album. Maybe both. There is some art work that is in consideration for this EP. Another good reason for this EP, other than no other good reason, would be for promotional purposes. Maybe a show could be booked with it. Probably not, but who knows? I've been speculating a show for a long time now, and it has become one of my resolutions for this year. Play at least 6 shows, whether solo or with others. That is one show every other month, I think that could be doable. The other resolutions are: continue not drinking a lot of pop, get this album done, read more Vonnegut and poetry.

Work on the album is slow, though, what with a daughter and a full time night job. My recording space is my computer, and the computer is in the open. If I could acquire a laptop or something a little more mobile I could head into the basement, or even the garage once it gets a bit warmer out. That might be another goal. Save up for something mobile.

That is a lot for no one to read. Until next time specters,

PDA

No comments:

Post a Comment